Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Yuma, Arizona
Are you in need of a bicycle accident attorney in Yuma? Contact the personal injury attorneys at ELG today for reliable legal aid.
A great way to get exercise and help save the planet, bicycles are also a popular way to get around when the weather in Arizona is nice. Unfortunately, with a rise in cyclists, there’s also a rise in bicycle accidents. These accidents are extremely dangerous and sometimes deadly. In 2016, the Arizona Department of Transportation reported that 1,350 cyclists were injured and 31 others were killed in bicycle accidents.
While cyclists are known to diligently and carefully adhere to the rules of the road, other drivers often do not know the laws for sharing space with bikes and could be putting you at risk. The ramifications of a bicycle accident are far-reaching. On top of replacing your bike, your helmet, and any other equipment, you will need to think about the cost of medical bills, time off work, physical therapy, and more.
Whether your accident is a result of a collision with a motor vehicle or another cyclist, you deserve the most aggressive legal representation available and fair compensation for your injuries. If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a bicycle accident in Yuma, you’ll need an experienced bicycle accident attorney on your side. Our team at ELG is here to answer any questions you may have about your accident and help you determine if you have a personal injury case.
Common Bicycle Accident Causes
Bicycle accidents can happen anywhere in Arizona at any time, and the results can be devastating. Even the most careful of cyclists can still get into an accident at the fault of a negligent car driver. There are other dangers to cyclists outside of drivers on the road. There is often a lack of appropriate signage and bike lanes, which all create an environment where catastrophic accidents involving cyclists can occur. Some of the most common bicycle accident causes include:
- Entering traffic from a parking spot or driveway
- Entering the road immediately in front of a cyclist
- Driving while intoxicated
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Distracted driving
- Driving at dangerous speeds
- Making an unsafe turn
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Dooring, or the act of hitting a cyclist with a car door
- Making an unsafe lane change
- Entering the bike lane
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident in the Yuma area that wasn’t your fault, contact ELG. Our compassionate team of bilingual Spanish-Speaking bike accident lawyers will fight by your side to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation that you deserve. Call us today for your free, no-obligation, and confidential consultation, or you can schedule your consultation online at your earliest convenience.
Possible Injuries Due to a Bicycle Accident in Yuma
The difference in size between a passenger car and a bicycle are considerable. Because of this difference, cyclists often sustain serious or life-threatening injuries. Some of these injuries can include road rash, bodily amputation, internal organ damage, disfigurement, and death. But the most common injuries associated with bike accidents are:
- Head Injuries And Traumatic Brain Injuries- While helmets are not a requirement in all states, it is highly recommended that cyclists wear one to help limit the danger of head injury in an accident. However, a head injury is still possible. Injuries such as skull fractures, concussions, traumatic brain injury, and intracranial bleeding can all occur in the event of an accident.
- Broken Bones- Bone fractures are extremely painful and can take months to years to heal. In an accident, cyclists most often suffer fractures in their arms, wrists, ankles, legs, back, face, neck, pelvis, or collarbone. Multiple fractures can occur in a single accident, because cyclists can be thrown from their bikes and hit the ground with considerable force.
- Spinal Injuries- These injuries could possibly be treated with medical surgery or bodily therapy, but there is a likelihood it could still impair your quality of life for many months or even years. Spinal injuries can include slipped discs, fractured vertebrae, even spinal cord damage which can result in irreversible paralysis or death. Some spinal injuries require ongoing therapy.
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a bike wreck in Yuma that wasn’t your fault, contact our team of dedicated bike accident lawyers at ELG today. We are here to answer any questions you may have about your accident and can help you get your personal injury claim started immediately.
Seek Medical Attention Right Away
Bicycle accidents can result in some serious injuries and one the most important thing to do after a collision is to seek immediate medical attention. Unlike motorists who have their cars to protect them, cyclists have nothing to separate them from the elements, road, a vehicle, a tree, or any other objects. When involved in any kind of accident, adrenaline rushes through our veins and we may not feel the pain our bodies are actually in. If injuries go unnoticed and untreated, they can get worse. Seeking medical attention right away after a bicycle accident can help detect certain types of injuries and help ensure your safety and your health, even though you may not feel like you’ve been injured.
Children in Bike Accidents in Yuma
The number of children riding bicycles each year is continually growing, and unfortunately so are the numbers of injuries to children in bike accidents. Because the injuries a child sustained may be substantial, the child’s family could lose the quality of life they once enjoyed. If a child is involved in a bicycle accident, it is important for their parents or guardians to contact an attorney right away. The child may be entitled to compensation for any disability, disfigurement, or pain they continue to suffer.
If your child was seriously injured in a bicycle crash, you can count on our skilled bilingual team of Yuma bicycle accident attorneys at ELG to fight for your and your child’s rights. With our help, you may be able to demand compensation for your child’s medical bills. Call us today for a free, no-obligation, and confidential consultation.
Damages You Can Claim After a Bike Crash in Yuma
Being seriously injured in a bike accident is something nobody expects to have to endure. With the help of an attorney, victims of bike wrecks may be able to demand compensation. The Statute of Limitations in Arizona for personal injuries is 2 years after the date of the accident. If a victim waits until after that 2 years to file a claim, they will lose their right to collect compensation. The damages bicycle accident victims can claim may include but are not limited to:
- Medical expenses
- Wrongful death
- Loss of income due to injuries
- Diminished earning potential
- Loss of job and ability to work
- Special equipment necessary because of medical issues
Bicycle Safety Tips
Each city in the United States has their own unique bicycle regulations, so it’s a cyclist’s job to know and remember these regulations. In the state of Arizona, bicycles are treated just like cars. Bicyclists, therefore, have the same rights as a traditional motor vehicle to operate in roadways except for highways and interstates. Bicyclists also share the same responsibilities as drivers and must obey standard traffic laws. Some of the most important bike laws in Arizona include:
- Follow Traffic Signals- Cyclists have the same rights as motorists, and they have similar responsibilities. In Arizona, cyclists must signal their intent to turn and may not ride alongside a motor vehicle. They must also stop at stop lights and signs, and yield right-of-way to appropriate vehicles and pedestrians. One hand must be on a handlebar at all times. Two bikes riding side by side is permitted.
- Bicycle Requirements- All bicycles are required to have a seat per person riding. White lights on the front and red reflectors on the back are mandatory in Arizona if a cyclist intends on riding at night. Every bicycle must have at least one brake that will make the wheel skid when applied. Cyclists have a responsibility to keep their vehicles well-maintained and in proper working order while on the road.
- Helmet Laws- While the state of Arizona doesn’t have mandatory helmet laws, some cities require riders under the age of 18 to wear a helmet.
Working With a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Yuma
Nobody expects to be injured in a bicycle accident. With having to take time off work to recover, medical expenses and household bills tend to pile up. You don’t have to suffer through the added stress alone, our compassionate team of bicycle accident attorneys at ELG is here to help. With over 55 years of combined experience, our experienced bilingual team of Spanish-speaking attorneys is dedicated to being supportive and excelling in all aspects of the services we provide for our clients. Call us today at (623) 877-3600 for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys or schedule your consultation on our website at elgphx.com at your earliest convenience.